Statement on the Lone Star Agenda
Over the last week, conservative leaders and organizations across the state have been endorsing the Lone Star Agenda (the Agenda), a slate of issues that were not adequately addressed during the 2019 legislative session.
In fact, issues included in the agenda have not been prioritized or meaningfully addressed over the past several sessions. It’s due to this prolonged absence of activity that following the session, many in the grassroots appeared dejected and penned editorials swearing off political activity. This effort is aimed at stemming that tide and appears to be a step in that direction.
The Agenda, put together by a group of statewide conservative political leaders, is a slate of issues that aligns with positions contained in the Republican party platform, making its aims easily adoptable by the “Big-Three.”
Direct Action Texas has enthusiastically signed on to the document, which includes calling broadly for attention to election integrity, and specifically citizenship verification.
In August 2018, DAT and Grassroots America held a press conference calling on Governor Abbott to remove non-citizens who are registered to vote and voting in Texas elections. According to recently released emails, Abbott after the press conference spurred an attempt to accomplish this task.
Mercifully concise, below are the planks of the Agenda.
Family Rights and Personal Liberty
We place the constitutional rights of Texans to liberty and self-determination for themselves and their families above the desires of government officials and special interests.
1. Allow families to make mental and physical health decisions for themselves.
2. Stop wrongful removal of children from families by restoring due process rights for parents.
3. Stop local ordinances that interfere in private employer-employee relationships.
4. Increase protections for unborn Texans.
Transparent and Representative Government
We must reform and protect the Texas institutions that are critical to our historical identity as the Lone Star State.
5. Improve election integrity (paper ballot backup audit trail; citizenship verification).
6. End taxpayer funded lobbying.
7. End union dues withholding from public sector paychecks.
8. Protect Texas monuments.
Justice and Security
We must improve the security of Texans to be safe in their communities and free from injustice:
9. Secure the southern border (interior enforcement to end the “magnet” effect).
10. Stop human trafficking.
11. Protect the rights of Texans to bear arms.